It may only be in its fifth year, but Pittsburgh’s picklefest—known as Picklesburgh—has quickly gained nationwide popularity. In fact, USA Today readers voted Picklesburgh as the Best Specialty Food Festival in America.
This celebration is responding to its growing popularity by doubling the venue size for 2019. In addition to its traditional location on the Roberto Clemente Bridge, the festival will also take over a couple blocks of Ft. Duquesne Boulevard. More room means easier access to those pickle samples!
Cucumber & Dill: The Basics
What: Picklesburgh 2019 is a three-day festival celebrating all things pickled
When: July 26th to July 27th from noon until 10:00 p.m. and July 28th from noon until 6:00 p.m.
Where: Roberto Clemente Bridge and Ft. Duquesne Boulevard
Additional quick facts:
- Admission to the festival is free, and ATMs are on site for cash-only vendors.
- Kids can enjoy crafts and playtime in the Lil Gherkins Activity Area.
- Many will enter the Pittsburgh Pickle Juice Drinking Contest, but only one will win.
- Over 25 local bands will entertain visitors throughout the three-day event.
- A demo tent will show you how to make your own pickles for when Picklesburgh isn’t in session.
Dill-licious Fudge and Pickled Libations: The Vendors
Pittsburgh’s picklefest doesn’t just have a larger geological footprint this year—it also has twice as many vendors. Over 60 chefs, farmers, and artists will be slinging pickle-themed wares.
You can try plenty of pickled fruits and veggies, including:
- Grandma’s kimchi and dumplings from Bae Bae’s Kitchen
- Nachos topped with pickled veggies from Pittsburgh Pickle Company
- Pizza topped with pickled endive, pickled fennel, and more from Spirit
If you’re a more adventurous eater, look for:
- Peanut butter pickle swirl fudge from Chocolate Moonshine Co.
- Chocolate-covered pickle Oreos from Grandpa Joe’s Candy Shop
- Dill pickle ice cream from Millie’s Homemade Ice Cream
Want to show off your love of all things pickled? You can find a wide range of pickle-themed merchandise, from wine stoppers and coin purses to pickle-scented soy candles and organic cotton dresses. Plus, there will be plenty of pickle-related libations, including an Eau de Pickle from Wigle Whiskey that was distilled just for this event.
This Event is Kind of a Big Dill
Don’t get yourself in a pickle by waiting to make plans for the 2019 Pittsburgh picklefest. RSVP to Picklesburgh on Facebook for the latest updates and get your mouth ready for a briny celebration!